30 June 2012

Mandarin, Korean Language & I

I went to Inter-Cultural Language School (ICLS) at Fahrenheit88 last week to know more about language program that they offer with my colleague.

Actually, I went there to ask about part time Mandarin (Speaking) class. Yeah. You don't misread the sentence - it's Mandarin. Not Korean. But...please continue reading. :)

Before this I took Mandarin language class in my university but only for level 1. So, I basically know a few Chinese words but I really don't have confident speaking Mandarin because of different intonation to pronounce the word.

But I do think that Mandarin is easier than Korean.

I've told you that I, once, took Mandarin class in my university, right? In the same semester too, I took Korean language (level 1)! Hah. Two language classes in one semester. I tell you what, it's pretty hard for me to catch up two languages that absolutely different from my native language.

That was the time when I realize that Mandarin is easier than Korean language even though the pronounciation is hard to reach perfectness (for me). Once you remember the chinese character, you already can make full sentence with 5 - 6 characters only.

For example:
I go to school
wo qu xuexiao

4 characters only. I was always in a good mood to go to my Mandarin class because I can catch up with the lessons even though I joined the class 3 weeks late than other students.


But for Korean language, I have to learn the unfamiliar 41 alphabets for about a month or so. Then I learn syllable and learn how to combine the syllable to form a word. After that, I learn the rule of the word with batchim and how to pronounce it if meet certain alphabets in the next syllable. Finally learn how to form a sentence.

Everytime my seongsaengnim make the student do spelling test, I stressss like Kang Gary. Haha. The spelling test was just like english/malay spelling test in primary school but...it's hard.

You must wonder how is the spelling test right?

This is how the test was done.

First, my seongsaengnim will say 10 words in Korean and I will write down the possibility of how the words can be written. It's quite difficult to differentiate the 어 and 오 sound. I also don't know whether the word have batchim or not!

Next round, seongsaengnim will say 10 english words and I will translate it to Korean language and write it down. Again using my assumption to spell. -.-

*****
About the ICLS, I end up sitting for Korean language level test on that day. :) I will give the details of Korean language class that they have in the next post because this post is too long and mix with other stories. Mianhae.
*****
That is my story how I learn other languages that are absolutely different from mine. Korean language is pretty hard for me in the beginning but I did really well in the Level 2 class! :) So, if you have passion in learning any other language, just go for it and do your best.

No comments: